Divining for Responsibility
Author: By Kether W.
For over centuries, divination had evolved greatly among traditions around the world. Tools such as rune stones, crystal balls, black mirrors, the stars (astrology), and many others had become an integral part of most surviving pagan traditions today. But among these tools, tarot had become the most popular, something that can be easily adopted by a novice psychic.
The demand for tarot cards nowadays had become a ‘must-have’ commodity for both experienced and novice practitioners in the Philippines. In fact, I haven’t heard of any practitioners without any deck of tarot cards at all…or maybe shall I say not yet…but then the fact is every pagan I know (so far) owns a tarot deck. Either these people are tarot collectors or just felt the need to be like one…I mean a psychic for that sense.
It was just lately that I’ve realized the irony of tarots; that somehow the availability of these tools violates its purpose. The wide variety of tarot decks on bookstore shelves had somehow enticed those who are blinded with the true meaning of the cards and makes it easier for anyone to become instant psychic. Bundled with instruction manuals, tarot had become your instant coffee maker.
For years, I’ve known people collecting cards, spending their fortune on rare decks of Thoth Card and Rider Waite without even spending quality time studying them. I guess it would sound unfair if I say that it is crazy to spend 10 decks only to show-off, but then it is indeed crazy!
On the other hand I do not claim expertise in tarots or maybe divination in general. The chopping board is something I can’t afford and I am not, by any means, in the position to say who should buy and learn the art of divination and who should not. My only concern is that people nowadays grabs a deck from shelves, read the manual and the next day he/she is transformed into this first class tarot reader which charges 500 bucks per session. In the old days, gypsies had to learn these symbols for 30 years or so. Too bad that these people charge much for what they know little about.
Admittedly, I learned my craft with the help of these manuals as well. But while I have learned the symbolism and the meaning in a hundred-page instructional book, my amazement with the tarot didn’t stop me from taking my learning experience to another level. In other words, I did not just stop one day and buy a new deck of cards, read the manual on the second, and showed off the next. It took me years before I finally got the chance to read for other people.
It is exciting indeed the experience of having your own tarot deck (or may be a set of divinatory tools) for the very first time. Nothing compares my excitement when I first blessed my first set of rune stones some 3 years ago. But while we are all thrilled with the new found experience, it is of utmost importance that we should understand what it means to have one.
Just like any other occult tools or any household tools for that matter, these tools can be potentially harmful when placed in the hands of the unskilled - harmful both to others and to him/herself. The symbols of each rune, tarot, I-Ching, and even scryed images from the crystal ball have deeper meanings; they represent tendencies which can only be unlocked with proper training and experience. To know the precepts of these symbols is one of the greatest responsibilities of a psychic crucial in sharing his/her gift of foresight with others.
About the Author: Famous for his opinionated articles and commentaries, KETHER is a vowed follower of the Hermetic Order of Golden Dawn tradition. A tarot reader, healer and a human rights and environmental activist, he involves himself in projects of Haribon and Sagip Kalikasan Foundations.
© 2006 Manggagaway E-magazine. Articles may be distributed freely on the condition that all accreditation is acknowledged, no part is altered and this notice is attached and the website: http://manggagaway-central.blogspot.com is included. ~ Thank you

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home