A Dragon’s Tale
Inspired by a personal encounter with real-life dragons in the 21st century, this article explores the irony surrounding earth-based spiritualities like Wicca. Flavored with sense of humor, this piece of writing is a must-read for all practicing Pagans. By Ishilta.

“Complete with earth symbols hanging on their appendages, they humbly revere the earth with offerings of cigarette butts to unsuspecting plants about.”
Photo by Dwane A.
Dragon (drag’en) n Definition: 1.) In ancient times, a mythical, serpentine-like, winged creature that is believed to breath fire 2.) Now, a term used to designate a “hard-core smoker” especially if the person is a pagan.
One Sunny afternoon while sitting next to the infamous Starbucks Café in Megamall, top-favorite hang-out of Wiccans, I was surrounded by four to five gorgeous individuals relentlessly blowing off holy smoke in the air as they artistically puff their three inch-long cigarette sticks on their mouth. I thought it was ok then. After all, I’m staying at the smoking area (get lost Ishilta, you are in our territorial zone remember?). But hey wait a minute! These people aren’t just ordinary individuals…they are Pagans!
Caught in the midst of shock, hesitation and doubt, I felt time slowed down, reminding me of the all-time favorite Sprite commercial and asked myself “What in the goddess’ name should I do now? Is it a.) preach like a stereotype priest does b.) ignore them and refrain from deep rhythmic breathing or c.) throw some fire balls with my hands. Unprepared for an environmental protest (lacked of courage and unfinished placards), I regretfully answered b – ignore them and just resort to shallow breaths.
Earth-Centered Spirituality
I know scientists disproved Ptolemy’s theory of the earth being the center of the universe, but as far as my article is concerned, pagan spirituality indeed centers on the earth as focal point of faith, worship and devotion, the same way the Catholics’ revere the crucifix.
The word “pagan” is probably one of the most misunderstood terms in the English dictionary. From its original translation “country dweller,” the word earned a negative connotation and thus defined by medieval church as either a: 1.) Heretic 2.) Idolater 3.) Heathen. Today, with the rise of unorthodox advocacies and new age movements, the word “pagan” derived a new and dignified meaning which is “encompassing of belief systems outside the established orthodoxy that is attuned to the earth’s seasonal cycles and rhythm.” With this in mind, spiritual paths like Wicca, Shamanism and even Buddhism fittingly fall under this category.
To Pagans everything that can be found in nature, both animate and inanimate, are living personifications of the divine. They treat the earth as a mother, the sky to them is a father, and the moon is seen as a goddess while the sun is revere as a god. They believe in a spirit of consciousness residing in every water body, rock, tree and plant and so offerings are made often to appease these nature-dwelling entities.
The Greatest Irony
Pagans can be rightfully considered the world’s first known ecologists and environmentalists not solely because they worship nature per se but they’ve understood their role as stewards of creation. Through their close interaction with the environment, they were able to gain vast understanding on the natural laws and peered into nature’s deep-seated secrets long before modern-day technology and apparatuses existed. Their activities were based primarily on the earth’s seasonal rhythm and on the movements of certain heavenly bodies, particularly the sun and the moon.
Nowadays, it is surprising to see a lot of people who label themselves “pagan” doing what is oppose to the real essence of pagan spirituality. Those who profess as sons and daughters of the earth Goddess are the ones betraying the surrogate mother by polluting the environment in a myriad of ways. One is cigarette smoking.
“Harm none, do what thou wilt”…
I’m positive that every beginner and hard-knocked practitioner of Wicca knows very well the Wiccan Rede but the question is “how far has he or she understood and assimilated the ultimate Wiccan law not only in terms of magickal workings but with everyday mundane life as well?”
It has been scientifically confirmed that cigarette smoking poses a great hazard to one’s physical health. In fact, studies show that there are countless of diseases brought about alone by cigarette smoking. Diseases like bronchitis, emphysema, coronary heart disease, cirrhosis of the liver, peripheral vascular disease, bladder cancer and peptic ulcer are only a few mentioned at the upper half of the list. Mind you, there are still lots of illnesses, which by the way are not even respiratory-related, that can kill you in a matter of weeks. Even if you are able to extend your lifetime a little bit, definitely you won’t escape the torment that accompanies your miserable condition until your very very last breathe. Now, would you still want to smoke cigarette?
Now going back to the Wiccan rede, it is clearly stated there that any action, which brings harm to any living creature, is a big no-no. If you don’t care about your life, then fine – but what about those unsuspecting victims who breathe secondhand smoke? Do you even care for these people? If they are total strangers, who cares? But what if a dear friend or family member suddenly dies because of passive smoking? Would that be enough to change your perspective?
Taking Responsibility
With freedom comes responsibility. Let us make use of our Goddess-given abilities in making wise decisions and choices in life. Always bear in mind that our actions, no matter how big or small they are, will affect the great web of life we are part of. Quit smoking! Do it not only for your own sake, but for the benefit of your loved ones and Mother Earth as well.
The Earth Mother loves us so much that She continually provides us our basic needs, ranging from the mundane to the extraordinary. It's appropriate that we give thanks for all Her bounty and wonderful presents even in our own little ways. As children of the Goddess, it is expected from us that we become living examples to our fellow earthlings.
Of course, change doesn’t happen overnight. It will take sometime for somebody used to smoking to quit the habit. As an old Chinese Proverb says, “The longest journey starts with a single step.” So act now. All it takes are sincerity, dedication and a strong will.
About the Author: ISHILTA is currently engaged in the study and exploration of various spiritual traditions & techniques like reiki, kundalini, sahaja yoga, tantra, astrology and Tibetan Buddhism. He is taking up BS Geography in UP Diliman and works as full-time editor and site manager of Manggagaway. He is a lightworker and seeks for the upliftment of human consciousness.
© 2006 Manggagaway E-magazine. Articles may be distributed freely on the condition that all accreditation is acknowledged, no part is altered and this notice is attached and the website: http://manggagaway-central.blogspot.com is included. ~ Thank you

1 Comments:
At 12:40 PM ,
Anonymous said...
I am a Wiccan Filipino - American. I was actually smoking while I was reading this article. I have tried to stop smoking. I NEVER throw my butts on the ground...if I have to put it out and put it in my pocket I will. But I understand where you are coming from and believe me it is VERY hard to stop. I am trying because I know that life is a blessing and I am abusing my blessing from the Goddess. Thank you very much for you non judgemental words of wisdom. They were encouraging and I will try everyday to quit.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home