Archives

Manggagaway Central: Your Online Guide to the Filipino-Pagan Community.

Saturday, August 05, 2006

The 21st Century Adam: The Gays of Wicca

Why is it that most Wiccan practitioners are gay? Find out as Kether unlocks the mysteries of feminism being celebrated by males.
By Kether W.

In the old days, the term witchcraft is originally defined as a pact between the women and the devil (incubus). Their frolic orgy gives women the power to curse, to control the winds, and even to seduce husbands of villages. They conjure pests, which destroy crops, and they cast plagues over the winds of the blood moon. For centuries women are known to be agents of the devil and therefore they should be deprived of knowledge and opinion. It is quite noticeable that most of witchcraft history is mostly played by women, especially those who were deprived of their rights. The three-phase goddess: the virgin, the mother, and the crone depict their feminine energy.

While most of the concepts of witchcraft are still observed by women, it is quite a surprise to see the growing number of homosexuals celebrating the same mysteries of feminism. In Philippines for example, I’ve noticed that almost half of Wiccan practitioners and other occult-related traditions are gays and lesbians out in the open. In fact, most of my colleagues and pagan friends are gays. And I’m not only talking of just ordinary gay practitioners, most of these gays are high ranking priests (if they prefer priestess that’s fine!) which really makes a statement of astute in their respective covens.

Just last week I was interviewed by this certain skeptic of the occult and dark arts and one of the questions that was raised during the meeting was “why is it that most witches are gays?” And I must say, that is toughest question I ever heard from a skeptic.

Unlike any other forms of religion, say for example Christianity and Islam, it is only in Wicca that the idea of dynamic spiritual force is freely recognized and therefore people are not deprived of their rights to beliefs and worship regardless of their physical make up. Theoretically, gender is ‘suppose-to-be” not an issue in religion. Gays and Lesbians should not be treated as if they are sinful “eyesores” of the divine, but a co-equal existence in the celebrations of life itself.

Though I do not consider myself a homosexual or a bisexual (let’s just say I’m confused!), I really feel that it’s about time that we should give everyone equal rights in worship and belief. This idea came to me last night after I met this group of gays complaining that they were thrown out from church because they were gays. I must admit that some gays are a little bit loud and vulgar, but judging the way they look last night, I believe treating them like that is such an inhumane and an abomination to faith. I believe that every man has the right to converse with god regardless of his status in the society.

About the Author:
Famous for his opinionated articles and commentaries, KETHER is a vowed follower of the Hermetic Order of Golden Dawn tradition. He is now in his last semester taking up BS Electronics and Communication Engineering. A tarot reader, healer and a human rights and environmental activist, Kether has been involved in projects of Haribon and Sagip Kalikasan Foundations.

© 2006 Manggagaway E-magazine. Articles may be distributed freely on the condition that all accreditation is acknowledged, no part is altered and this notice is attached and the website: http://manggagaway-central.blogspot.com is included. ~ Thank you

1 Comments:

  • At 7:32 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    i think the reason most Witches and/or practicing Pagans are gay is that Wicca/Paganism offers a union and equality between Lady and Lord, Female and Male, Yin and Yang. and what are we (gay men and women) but an amalgam of the two?

    my two cent's worth

    -Phoenix

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home